Friday, February 28, 2014

Evangelism isn't a Cake Walk

We aren't promised an easy life as Christians. We know that. There are all sorts of verses that tell us that. The one verse that seems most clear to me is John 16:33 where Jesus says to his disciples:

"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

We can't deny that we are guaranteed tribulations in this world. Things are going to be hard--I don't deny that. But I think I've always assumed that there would be SOME THINGS that wouldn't be hard.

One such thing that I assumed wouldn't make my life difficult, that would be straight forward and rewarding, was evangelism. I don't know why in America I thought this would be the thing that wouldn't be hard. But the conversation in my mind literally went, "Sure, people will persecute you for being a Christian, and not sinning will be difficult sometimes, and maybe you won't be a part of some sort of in crowd, but God wants you to evangelize, so that will never be a thorn in your side."

Clearly this perspective came from an ignorance of the Bible, or perhaps some sort of wishful thinking and idealism that I was magically impervious to the struggles of the great men of the Bible. Two occasions that specifically come to mind that prove how wrong I really was are Ezekiel and the 70.

In Ezekiel 2 and 3 God tells Ezekiel that preaching to the Israelites will be like having thorns all over him and sitting on scorpions. To top it off, in 3:7 He tells Ezekiel outright that the Israelites aren't even going to listen to what he has to say. Evangelism wasn't going to be easy for Ezekiel, but God told him to go and to speak.

In Luke 10, Jesus sends 70 (72?) of his followers out to preach the gospel. He says that He is sending them out as lambs among wolves. And then he gives them specific instructions for what to do when people inevitably do not receive their message. Evangelism wasn't going to be easy for the 70, but God told them to go and to speak.

Maybe I was the only crazy person that had this idea that evangelism wouldn't hurt. Maybe I was alone in the view that even if people rejected the gospel (which I know is a constant reality), it wouldn't be so bad for me as a teacher. But if I wasn't alone in that, if you also thought evangelism wasn't one of those trying aspects of the Christian life, you can take comfort along with me by looking back once again to John 16:33.


"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

Our Lord and Savior has overcome the world. It's going to be okay, and it's going to be worth it. It's going to be hard, and people will reject the gospel which was so graciously given to mankind, and maybe they will reject you, or treat you badly, or you will feel badly because people you try to teach don't believe...but it will be worth it. Christ has overcome the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment